Subject: Re[2]: WinXP users without password and cygwin_logon_user
From: Pavel Tsekov <[email-masked]>
To: Corinna Vinschen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 13:10:31 +0200

Hello Corinna,

Friday, April 05, 2002, 12:46:26 PM, you wrote:

CV> On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 11:52:26AM +0200, Pavel Tsekov wrote:
>> Hello, there! :)
>> 
>> I want to raise this issue again... In short
>> on my WinXP Home cygwin_logon_user fails to log
>> users without password set (or empty passwords - I dont know which is
>> correct to be said). Is this a known issue ? The failed Win32 API is
>> LogonUser. I red the MSDN docu on this API but it was of no help at
>> all... I've tried several different ways to call LogonUser but to no
>> avail:(
>> 
>> This issue affects the instructions in the inetutils README file which
>> say that to run anonymous ftp you either have to use Guest or create
>> an account without password named (or mapped) ftp. Still Guest is
>> allowed without pass by LogonUser, but not any other accounts...

CV> Unfortunately XP Home has some ... interesting ... restrictions.

CV> I've messed up my XP Home installation so I can't look into this.
CV> However, even if there's no useful GUI user manager you can still
CV> use the CLI version `net user'.  Assuming the name of that user is
CV> "foo", you can look into the user info with `net user foo' and the
CV> output is sth. like that:

CV> $ net user foo
CV> User name                    foo
CV> Full Name                    foo
CV> Comment                      
CV> User's comment               
CV> Country code                 000 (System Default)
CV> Account active               Yes
CV> Account expires              Never

CV> Password last set            1/30/2002 12:34 PM
CV> Password expires             Never
CV> Password changeable          1/30/2002 12:34 PM
CV> Password required            Yes
CV> User may change password     Yes

Well, this is very interesting :) I have this user without a password
still if I use the net user command it says that password is required,
though I can log in without a password from the keyboard, but not via
cygwin_logon_user ()... This is really weird! I'll investigate this further
in the weekend.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/