Subject: Cygrunsrv unhelpful starting as user not yet granted 'Log on as Service' rights
From: Philip Flip Kromer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 01:25:47 -0600
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin

I have a suggestion for cygrunsrv.

When you add a Service as a user from the Windows services applet, it 
will automatically grant "Log on as Service" rights to that user.

Cygrunsrv does not automagically grant rights, which is probably a good
thing, but the error message is not specific, which is a bad thing. 
When you install the service you get no complaint:

   $ cygrunsrv.exe -I sshd -d "SSHD" -p /usr/sbin/sshd -a "-D" -u me
   Enter password of user `HOST\flip':
   Reenter, please:

When you start the service you get

   $ cygrunsrv.exe -S sshd
   cygrunsrv.exe: Error starting a service: StartService:
   Win32 error 1069: The service did not start due to a logon failure.

It would be nice if cygrunsrv complained when you _install_ rather than 
_start_ the service, if possible.

Also, cygrunsrv should precisely specify the source of the problem -- 
"The given user does not have 'Log on as Service' rights" -- or at least 
generically suggest that the user investigate the issue.

Cheers,
flip

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/