Subject: README for Objective-C in Cygwin
From: Ildar Mulyukov <[email-masked]>
To: cygwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 17:32:07 +0300

-- 
Ildar  Mulyukov,
   free SW programmer/designer
================================================
email: [email-masked]

projects: http://os-development.sourceforge.net/

home: http://www.faki.mipt.ru/~ildar
================================================
This README shows how to build gcc for cygwin environment with Objective-C
support. This is generally for GNUstep on top of Cygwin but may be useful for
other applications.

This README concerns gcc version 2.95.3 (the last official one in 2.x tree)
but for 3.0.x you can do similar things. (Note: officially you don't have to
use GNUstep' libobjc. I don't know really)

I used original gcc sources from http://gcc.gnu.org The reason for this is
that cygwin's own gcc tree dropped Obj-C support. So using this  you'll
probably lose MinGW support and possibly something else I don't know. If you
care you should ask in cygwin mailing list. I believe it's possible to use
MinGW by hacking specs but don't ask me how, sorry. So (generally) you must
choose between ObjC and MinGW.

So let's begin.

0. Get Cygwin (http://cygwin.com) :-) I use full fresh distro but it's surely
unnecessary.

1. Get gcc sources (e.g. http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-2.95/) Again: cygwin gcc
source obtained by Cygwin setup.exe is NOT ok. You must get original gcc
sources.

2.      "cd gcc-2.95.3 ; ./configure --prefix=/usr && make"
Hope it finished without a error.

3. Install gcc. You can do simply "make install". I use self-made script
that produces package (mkpkg.sh) then install it instead of standard gcc

4. Get libobjc - GNUstep version:
        http://www.gnustep.org/resources/source_prereq.html
or
        "cvs -d:pserver:[email-masked]:/cvsroot/gnustep login"
        "cvs -d:pserver:[email-masked]:/cvsroot/gnustep co gnustep/core/make"
        "cvs -d:pserver:[email-masked]:/cvsroot/gnustep co gnustep/dev-apps/libobjc"

As you see you must have gnustep-make to build libobjc. If you are going to
use GNUstep in Cygwin env. you have to install it anyway. If not, you can
remove it when you finished.
5. Build & install gnustep/core/make (see instructions there)

6. "cd gnustep/dev-apps/libobjc ; make"
(Don't forget to run ". /usr/GNUstep/System/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh").
Replace manually libobjc.a, all headers in include/objc; put objc.dll into /bin

7. You can (optionally) add -I/usr/include/w32api into your ``specs'' file.

Viola!

If you are experiencing any troubles with the procedure above, email me!

You can also get binaries at http://www.faki.mipt.ru/~ildar/MyFiles/

Sincerely, Ildar <[email-masked]>

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/