Subject: Re: strace on inetd (was RE: bash failed to initialize on telnet/rsh/ rlogin server)
From: "Matt Seitz" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 17:32:03 -0800
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin

"Christopher Faylor" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 02:20:35PM -0600, Polley Christopher W wrote:
> >Are there more complete instructions to strace besides --help, the Cygwin
> >user guide, or winsup/utils/utils.sgml (all essentially the same thing)?
>
> If we had better documentation why would it be hidden?

I'm sure Cygwin tries to include the best possible documentation.  But if
someone can't find an answer in the official docs, it seems to me that
asking for other sources is the right thing to do.  For any number of
reasons, there may be other sources of information that are not yet included
in the official Cygwin documentation.

> The best documentation is the source code.

That depends on one's definition of "best".  Source is certainly the most
accurate documentation, but it is probably not the easiest to use.

I'm sure the Cygwin developers are very busy and don't have a lot of time to
offer free end-user support, especially since Cygwin does offer paid support
options.  And I do see a number of helpful articles posted by Cygwin
developers.  But occasionally I'm surprised at how hostile some answers are
to what seem to be reasonable questions and requests.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/