Subject: Re: cygwin telnet to linux/emacs
From: Andrew Markebo <[email-masked]>
To: "Christopher Glaeser" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: 27 Mar 2002 09:19:47 +0100

/ Andrew Markebo <[email-masked]> wrote:
| / "Christopher Glaeser" <[email-masked]> wrote:
| | Is there a FAQ or a posting on how to telnet from cygwin to linux such that
| | editing with emacs on the linux system will work correctly?  TIA.
| 
| I think there is a faq, check for TERM (environment variabl) in the
| faq, meanwhile set it to vt100 or similar on your linux-machine.

Hmm I quickly browsed through the FAQ, and couldn't see it there, ahh
well, basically the "problem" is that when you telnet to a machine the
environment variable TERM is also transferred to that machine.. 

And in your cygwin bash, TERM is set to cygwin, so when you telnet to
the linux-machine TERM is set to cygwin there too, and well it can't
be found in the termcap database.. so either put cygwin in your
termcap db or vt100 in your TERM environment.. 

        /A
-- 
 The eye of the beholder rests on the beauty!

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/