Subject: Re: Strange behavior of MSVC's printf under cygwin shell?
From: "Michael Teske" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 16:23:16 +0100

On Tuesday 26 March 2002 09:04, Pietro Toniolo wrote:
> Nay, I campiled the proposed program (every package on my side is in the
> "Last" status) and, with -no-cygwin, I do have an unbuffered stdout.

You mean buffered?

> Is it an "undefined behavior" of the c compiler?
> But why a different default behavior, with and without the flag?

Usually the libc decides if to use buffering by the fact if stdout is 
atttached to a terminal (line buffering) or redirected to a file (full 
buffering). Since -no-cygwin uses the MS libc, and MS libc doesn't know 
anything about bash, I suppose they thing stdout is not connected to a 
terminal when running under bash. This would at least explain this behaviour 
and there would be nothing you can do about it, except using fflush (as a lot 
of people already suggested).

Greetings,

-- 
Michael Teske

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/