Subject: Hard links broken in setup 2.194.2.x
From: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 10:05:05

This should go to cygwin-apps, but I am not allowed to post there, so I do it here.
The reported problem in http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2002-03/msg00251.html is really messing up all package installs which use hard links.
Gcc and perl and John Marshall's prc-tools are examples.

I started looking into the io_stream code and I believe the
problem has to do with the artificial addition of a slash to
force extraction to the cygwin root directory (names like:
cygfile:///usr/bin/...). In the target
of links this extra slash is missing.
For symbolic links this is OK, but for hard links it causes
the 'cannot open target for reading' error message.
Maybe we need something like chroot() so relative pathnames in tar files extract correctly instead of the addition of a root '/'. The recent w32api problems (leading './' in tar
pathnames) might be a symptom of the same problem.

Robert, I hope this helps fixing this problem soon.
In the meantime, maybe we should revert to setup 2.152.2.10
untill this serious bug is fixed.
If I find out something more I'll let you know.

Ton van Overbeek

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/