Subject: Re: Fwd: 1.3.10 gcc/g77 won't install, won't work
From: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 11:57:09 -0500

At 11:41 AM 3/25/2002, you wrote:
>  
>Return-path: <[email-masked]>
>From: [email-masked]
>Full-name: Francis  Domoney
>Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
>Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 09:52:35 EST
>Subject: Re: 1.3.10 gcc/g77 won't install, won't work
>To: [email-masked]
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>X-Mailer: AOL 7.0 for Windows UK sub 52
>
>Hi
>
>I had an awful week fighting with install.  I kept getting the same error to 
>do with being unable to find -user32.  Folowing the isnstuctions about not 
>sending messages to the list about old problems I persevered.
>
>The archive told me that this was to do with an incomplete download, so I 
>tried and tried again from one of the Uk mirrors.  (for five days)
>
>Eventually in desperation I tried a German mirror and reinstalled gcc. 
>because the intelligent istall knows what files to install. The German mirror 
>downloaded a half dozen files I didnt seem to have got from the Uk mirror.
>
>Boy was I glad when I finally got hello world to compile and run.
>
>I am a newby so I am by no means accusing any mirror of anything.  I just 
>found the simple download and isntall of all damn difficult.

Sorry for your problems.  There is a bug in the current setup that causes it
trouble when it installs packages in a form that it doesn't expect.  This 
issue has been worked-around by repackaging the "offending" packages.  You
shouldn't see the -luser32 problem anymore but it may take some time to 
propagate to all the mirrors.  Trying other mirrors if this problem occurs
for you is a good strategy.  The w32api package is the one at "fault" and is
the only one you should need to redownload and reinstall if this problem 
occurs for you.

There also may be an issue with the new setup's ability to correctly handle
symbolic links.  This has recently been reported as a possible cause of the
problems people have been having getting g++ to properly install.  The jury
is still out on this one and the only work-around I can think of in the
meantime if you're caught by this one is to install the gcc tar file manually
(using tar, not WinZip!)

Larry Hall                              [email-masked]
RFK Partners, Inc.                      http://www.rfk.com
838 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
Holliston, MA 01746                     (508) 893-9889 - FAX

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/