Subject: Re: termcap problem in RXVT?
From: Andrew DeFaria <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 17:13:52 -0800
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin

Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:

> The short answer is "the answer is in the email archives".

Not really. All the below reference says is that this is intentional, 
not why it's being done. My question was why.

> See:
> 
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2001-11/msg01018.html
> 
> There's also various threads that follow this one where people are caught
> by the change in bash's behavior.  There was mention of an idea which
> would have Cygwin set the environment variables that would normally be 
> initialized during login on a *NIX system but it appears that functionality 
> is waiting for a volunteer AFAICT.  Wanna take a run at this?

Somebody's actually waiting for somebody else to put:

export SHELL

in /etc/profile?!?

I wouldn't mind taking a crack at this if 1) I knew the process of what 
needs to be done to "crack it" as it were (probably off of the Cygwin 
web page under contributors somewhere but this is such a simple change - 
it's not like I'm developing some package or something) and 2) Not 
knowing *why* "Bash no longer auto-exports HOME, PATH, SHELL and 
TERM..." I a bit hesitent to just export them.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/