Subject: Re: Installing from local directory -- trying to avoid massive duplication of effort
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 15:03:35 -0500

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 02:51:38PM -0500, Phil Edwards wrote:
>We need to install Cygwin on a /lot/ of W2K boxes, and we need to
>include some packages not in the base set (openssh and its prereqs, for
>one).  To save time, I've done the "download from internet" option,
>selected the things we need to install, and grabbed the packages.
>
>But when running setup again and chosing the "install from local"
>option, I have to make the same choices over again, not all of which I
>remember (and it's a lot of clicking besides).  Is there a method, when
>using "install from local," of simply installing every package that's
>present in the local cache?

If I was doing this, I would just use shell scripts or bat files to
install things and skip setup.exe.  IMO, setup.exe isn't the appropriate
tool for this job.  A shell script or .bat job is.  setup.exe is
designed to be a tool for installing from the internet.  Isn't intended
to be used as a mass-deployment tool.  There's too much potential for
user error if you tell people to use setup.exe.

However, I guess you could probably do what you need by creating your
own setup.ini file:  http://cygwin.com/setup.html .

cgf

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/