Subject: Strange bash login behaviour -- no home directory
From: "news.gmane.org" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 19:53:53 -0500
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin

I'm using the ntsec option of CYGWIN, on a freshly installed version of
cygwin that was downloaded today.

I've used mkgroup and mkpasswd to include domain entities (including me) in
/etc/group and /etc/passwd.

When I start cygwin ("bash --login -i" from the default cygwin.bat), I'm
recognized  as being logged in with my proper user id, but my home directory
(as reflected by $HOME) is "/cygdrive/c", even though /etc/passwd clearly
defines my home directory as "/home/paul.galbraith".

If I "login" from within the bash shell, $HOME is then set properly and I'm
dumped into my home directory!

Does anyone know why I have to login from the shell in order to get $HOME
set properly?

Cheers,

Paul

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/