Subject: RE: RPM Binary
From: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <[email-masked]>
To: Peter Ring <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 12:31:06 -0500

At 12:09 PM 3/13/2002, Peter Ring wrote:
> >From http://cygwin.com/lists.html:
>
>"cygwin: a high volume list for discussion of just about all things
>Cygwin-related. If you have questions about how to use Cygwin, or if you
>have cygwin-specific (see above) questions about the UNIX tools (bash, gcc,
>make, etc.) that come with Cygwin, this is the list for you. There is one
>exception to the "all things cygwin" nature of this list: questions about
>the Cygwin/XFree86 project (or any X-related questions for cygwin) should go
>to the cygwin-xfree mailing list (see below)."
>
>I don't see RPM (which BTW is a RedHat invention) excluded. This is a "how
>to use Cygwin" question, IMHO. Why the harsh reaction? Ignorance is never a
>virtue.

I don't think it's necessary to explicitly exclude particular utilities in 
this statement, if only because of the impracticality of the trying to do so.
RPM is not "all things Cygwin".  Cygwin is not Red Hat.  It's a community run
project that is hosted by Red Hat with Red Hat employees contributing.  The
fact that Cygwin and RPM are loosely connected through some relationship that
the two products/projects have with Red Hat implies nothing in terms of the 
Cygwin mailing list charter.  If folks are going to assume that anything 
that's not explicitly excluded in the paragraph quoted above is fair game for
the list, we might as well shut the list down now.  The volume is high enough 
as it is with things just barely staying on topic much of the time.

Sorry if this message sounds harsh to someone but it is necessary that this
list remain on-topic if it's going to be useful to those who need to talk 
about Cygwin.

Larry Hall                              [email-masked]
RFK Partners, Inc.                      http://www.rfk.com
838 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
Holliston, MA 01746                     (508) 893-9889 - FAX

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/