Subject: resize?
From: Andrew DeFaria <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Gurpreet Chhabra <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 12:21:29 -0800
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin

There doesn't appear to be an equivalent to resize(1). Now normally 
programs like rxvt catch sigwinch and set LINES and COLUMNS accordingly 
but there are a few places where this breaks down.

Open an rxvt terminal at 25x80. echo $LINES. It dutifully reports 25. 
Now resize the window to ~30x80. echo $LINES. It will report the 
appropriate number of lines. Now rlogin to your own machine. echo 
$LINES. It reports 25! Resize your window a little smaller than 25 
lines. echo $LINES. Still 25!

Exit your rlogin. echo $LINES. It should report ~30 (whatever you had 
resized it to before you rlogin'ed). Resize the window again to around 
25 lines. echo $LINES and it should resize to correct number of lines.

Now try telnet instead. Telnet into your own machine. You will note that 
telnet will adjust the size of LINES and COLUMNS properly. For example, 
stretch your window so that you have around 50 lines. Now exit your 
telnet returning to your original connection. echo $LINES. It's back at 
whatever size you had before you telnet'ed.

Therefore I think a resize command would be helpful to have (or if these 
problems noted above could be fixed...)

Oh, one other thing, bash in a Windows window performs no better. 
Initially LINES is set correctly. Now the only way to change the size in 
a Windows window is to select Properties: Layout and change the Window 
size (Width ro Height). Upon exiting that dialog box though Cygwin fails 
to adjust either the LINES or the COLUMNS environment variables.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/