Subject: Re: login: no shell: /bin/bash: Permission denied
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 10:43:02 +0100

Corinna Vinschen <[email-masked]> writes:

>> rights (whatever set of rights that is), or not.  Is this another toy
>> operating system after all?
>
> Yes and no.  Fact is, the kernel and the libraries are a real
> NT system.  But the system tools don't allow you to do all that
> stuff.

Ok.  So maybe with the right tools (or /proc/registry tweaking), "Home
Edition" could be taught to administer nt rights for users/groups.

> You should have taken "Home Edition" really serious.
>
> But that isn't what you do anyway.

I don't understand?  [This machine isn't mine, of course, but I've now
got the choice of using this iso an old Windows 98 box to test cygwin
stuff]

> Use sshd or inetd/telnet to switch user context as you already do.
> That's more secure.

> Imagine your account has the user right "act as part of the
> operating system" and you install a virulent application
> accidentally...

Sure.  Amazingly, the default setup from Miscrosoft is with Outlook
and one user without passwd, who has administrator (and whatnot)
rights.  So for enhanced vulnerability, a default IIS install should
suffice, I guess.

Jan.

-- 
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.lilypond.org

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/