Subject: Re: Prompt question
From: Barry Goldstein <[email-masked]>
To: Peter Buckley <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 16:56:45 -0500

At 04:44 PM 3/6/2002 -0500, Peter Buckley wrote:
>Aha. Sounds like it might be a problem with the space in the name. I am 
>not sure how to work around that with mkpasswd. But you could probably 
>do a "mkpasswd -l >> /etc/passwd" (I didn't realize you weren't in a 
>domain environment).
>
>You can also try Corinna's suggestion about "mkpasswd -u "Barry 
>Goldstein" >> /etc/passwd", or maybe "mkpasswd -u Barry\ Goldstein >> 
>/etc/passwd". Note that the space needs to be quoted.
>
>About the colors, are you checking off "modify the shortcut which 
>started this window"? It sounds like you are only modifying the one 
>window, and so the next command window has the same bad colors.
>
>HTH,
>Peter

Aha!

I did the mkpasswd -l and got all this in the passwd file:
Everyone:*:0:0:,S-1-1-0::
SYSTEM:*:18:18:,S-1-5-18::
Administrators:*:544:54
4:,S-1-5-32-544::
Administrator:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:500:513:Barry
Goldstein,U-INUK\Administrator,S-1-5-21-1269515077-1808626588-709306599-500:
/home/Administrator:/bin/bash
Barry
Goldstein:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:1000:513:Barry Goldstein,U-INUK\Barry
Goldstein,S-1-5-21-1269515077-1808626588-709306599-1000:/home/Barry
Goldstein:/bin/bash
Guest:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:501:513:U-INUK\Guest,S-1-5-21
-1269515077-1808626588-709306599-501:/home/Guest:/bin/bash

I was at first disappointed to see that I still had no name, but of course
I had to kill and restart cygwin and now, lo and behold, I am once again
Barry Goldstein.

Imagine my relief!

As for the colors, yes, I told it to modify the shortcut that started the
window. I think there's something in the prompt strings that undoes that
and sets the colors with some sort of odd ANSI strings. The prompt strings are
PS1=$'\\[\\033]0;\\w\\007\n\\033[32m\\]\\u@\\h \\[\\033[33m\\w\\033[0m\\]\n$ '
PS2='> '
PS4='+ '

I'm not sure where these should be set, but I'll go read the bash man
pages. Suggestions are welcome (I'll settle for bright-green-on-black).

Thanks very much for the help.

BG

==
Barry Goldstein              Pequod Software
124 Otis Street              [email-masked]
Newtonville, MA 02460-1846   +1-617-332-5758 (home)
U.S.A.                       +1-509-756-7445 (fax)

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/