Subject: Re: Suggestion for setup
From: Andrew DeFaria <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 13:44:43 -0800
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> The code in setup.exe seems to indicate that mkpasswd and mkgroup will
> not be run if the corresponding files already exist.  I was asking if
> people were actually seeing this happen after a first-time install.

I see mkpass -l run each and every time Cygwin is installed or a newer 
version is installed. In our environment we wish /etc/passwd to 
represent all users in the domain. Thus upgrading Cygwin causes mkpass 
-l and causes things to break.

> Even if it is not the case that this only happens the first time you
> install cygwin, using setup.exe to upgrade /etc/passwd is really not the
> right way to deal with this.  Just run mkpasswd and mkgroup.  There is
> no reason to involve setup.exe.

I'm not saying that if one wants /etc/passwd updated one sure run 
Cygwin's setup.exe. What I'm saying is that Cygwin's setup.exe should 
not break the /etc/passwd in place already. My experiences says that 
setup currently breaks things.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/