Subject: Re: Prompt question
From: Barry Goldstein <[email-masked]>
To: Peter Buckley <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 16:38:17 -0500

At 04:17 PM 3/6/2002 -0500, Peter Buckley wrote:
>Hmm... I thought that when cygwin was installed, it did "mkpasswd -l >> 
>/etc/passwd", so there was at least something in /etc/passwd. Do you in 
>fact have a file in c:\cygwin\bin named mkpasswd.exe?
>
>It actually should just sit there for a long time when you do "mkpasswd 
>-d >> /etc/passwd". It is adding all the users from the NT domain to the 
>passwd file. You can do a "mkpasswd -d | grep bgoldstein >> 
>/etc/passwd", that will take the same amount of time but only put your 
>username in the passwd file (where bgoldstein is your username).
>
>HTH,
>Peter

Thanks -- yes, there is a mkpasswd.exe in bin.

I did mkpasswd -d >&mkpasswd.txt and got the following
	Everyone:*:0:0:,S-1-1-0::
	SYSTEM:*:18:18:,S-1-5-18::
	Administrators:*:544:544:,S-1-5-32-544::
	mkpasswd: error 2453

My machine is not on a LAN (just a cable modem to my ISP). I log on to NT
as "Barry Goldstein", with full administrator privileges. Maybe the space
in the name is causing the error?

My cygwin home directory is /usr/bag, FWIW.

I just tried mkpasswd -d >> /etc/passwd and the first three lines above are
indeed in the file, but I still have no name.

It's not worth a lot of hassle, but I'm going to wrestle with the PS[0-9]
environment vars which set the prompt (and are also, I think, responsible
for the lousy colors (even if I change them with the NT box properties,
they go right back to lousy at a new prompt).

Thanks.

BG

==
Barry Goldstein              Pequod Software
124 Otis Street              [email-masked]
Newtonville, MA 02460-1846   +1-617-332-5758 (home)
U.S.A.                       +1-509-756-7445 (fax)

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/