Subject: Re: Suggestion for setup
From: Andrew DeFaria <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 11:06:10 -0800
Newsgroups: gmane.os.cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 06:31:04PM +0100, Bernard Dautrevaux wrote:
> 
>>Oh, I didn't think at that ;-( Obviously a way to avoid running "mkpasswd
>>-d" in such a case would be useful. 
>>
> 
> This is just an issue for first time installations, right?  AFAICT,
> /etc/passwd should not be produced if there is already a /etc/passwd.
> Ditto /etc/group.

Not necessary! In fact in most shops that run Windows domains users are
being added and deleted all the time! If you think about allowing the 
ability of an arbitrarily new user to be able to telnet into your box 
for whatever reason then they will not be able to if /etc/passwd's 
remain static.

I think the ultimate solution would be for somebody to write a NIS 
equivlant for Windows domains!

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/