Subject: Re: SSHD fails to start - not responding in a timely fashion
From: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <[email-masked]>
To: Scott Mulroy <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 12:03:17 -0500

At 01:18 PM 2/23/2002, Scott Mulroy wrote:
>On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
>
>->This strikes me like a service dependency issue.  There has been some 
>->discussion of this on the list.  You might want to look into this.  Because
>->services start in different sequences or require differing amounts of time
>->to start up on different machines, not specifying prerequisites can create
>->these undependable situations.  Sorry I don't have specific service dependency
>->suggestions for you here (beyond perhaps the browser) but you should find 
>->some in the email archive if you're interested.  Anyway, it's a possibility
>->you might want to investigate.
>->
>->Hope that helps,
>
>
>Thank you for the speedy response Larry!
>
>I'll investigate this possibility a little more.  One thing I should point
>out is that we have disabled the Computer Browser and Server services to
>allow for NetBios drive mappings across an ssh tunnel.  Perhaps those two
>are causing the grief?  It's odd though.  If that is the problem, how are
>the local machines I'm working on unaffected?  As I said in my earlier
>email, they're all built to spec.

That is a good question.  I don't know the answer unfortunately.  There have
been at least a few messages on this list that indicate the computer browser
is a dependency of SSHD for many people.  The most recent one is this 
morning:

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-02/msg01191.html

There's probably something more subtle going on there but it's not clear to me
what it is.

>I also don't think it's a matter of certain services not starting up in time.
>Many times during my efforts I've tried to start the sshd service and all the
>other services have had 30-60 minutes to start.  Perhaps this feedback may
>give you some insight into something more.  =)

Well, you can try checking your Event Viewer log for hints.  Nothing else
springs to mind, although others on this list that have experienced similar
issues may have more specific thoughts on this matter.

>I will try re-enabling the Computer Browser and Server services to see if
>I have any luck and I will continue to investigate further service
>dependencies.  If you have anything further or anyone else in your support
>department has any feedback, it would be greatly appreciated.

My support department is the Cygwin list! :-)  I'm sure if anyone on the
list has a good idea for you, they'll speak up if they haven't already in 
the past (in the archives).  I'm sure the list will be very interested to 
hear the results of your analysis though.  It is a problem experienced by 
some in the past and the resolution has always been related to some system 
service not starting as well.  However, I don't think anyone is clear on the 
complete list of service dependencies.  Any additional information you may 
find in this regard during your investigation would be most useful to others 
on the list moving forward.

Good luck!

Larry Hall                              [email-masked]
RFK Partners, Inc.                      http://www.rfk.com
838 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
Holliston, MA 01746                     (508) 893-9889 - FAX

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/