Subject: Re: /usr/bin/env - Incorrect parsing of #! line?
From: [email-masked] (Peter J. Acklam)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 21:46:05 +0100

Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Peter J. Acklam wrote:

> > Since the behaviour is different when the line is in the
> > shebang line, it has to be documented somewhere.
>
> AFAIK, it isn't documented anywhere except in the code.  I don't
> know where it would be documented, actually.  This obviously
> isn't an issue with /usr/bin/env.

Ok.  I'm not sure either.  I know that Solaris has an intro(1)
manual page which describes general command behaviour, standard
option parsing, etc.  I guess that might be a suitable place, but
cygwin has no such manual page.

> Where did you read about the behavior in "all UNIXes I work on"?
> We should probably document it in a similar place for cygwin.

That turned out to be an incorrect assumption on my part.  I have
worked with many UNIX flavours, and assumed that I had been using
this syntax on all of them, but it turned out to be that I had
only used it on Solaris where this syntax actually works.

> We'd certainly appreciate a patch to our documentation.  Just
> send it to [email-masked] for review.

I'm not sure where it really ought to be documented.  :-/

Peter

-- 
People say I'm indifferent, but I don't care.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/