Subject: RE: od
From: Randall R Schulz <[email-masked]>
To: Heribert Dahms <[email-masked]>, David <[email-masked]>, Mark Himsley <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 11:25:32 -0800

Hi, Heribert,

Ahh, yes, my old friend dd and his funky command syntax (inspired by some 
old IBM command language, if I'm not mistaken). The Swiss Army Knife of 
Unix data transfer. Thanks for reminding me.

However, I don't see a 4-byte equivalent to "conv=swab" in the manual page, 
so this will not extend to 32-bit entities.

Randy

At 11:21 2002-02-19, Heribert Dahms wrote:
>Hi Randall,
>
>no need to hack od because of endianess, we are on *nix after all, so pipe 
>it thru: dd conv=swab If needed often, put it in a wrapper shell script or 
>an alias! Testing portably if you want it swapped or not is left as an 
>excercise for the reader8-)
>
>Bye, Heribert ([email-masked])

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/