Subject: RE: od
From: "Roth, Kevin P." <[email-masked]>
To: "David" <[email-masked]>, "Mark Himsley" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 13:46:25 -0500

David - 

I agree with you that the little-endian representation can be somewhat
confusing; however, as Mark pointed out, it's not likely to ever
change...

I've had my own "struggles" with od's idea of output formats, and have
come up with a few options along the way. Here's some that will help, if
you're looking to get hex characters output in the order you're
expecting:

$ od -toC -tc -tx1 filename
  110 124 124 120 012
    H   T   T   P  \n
  48 54 54 50 0a

$ od -tcx1 -w24 filename | sed '/^[0-9]/s/ \( .\)/\1/g';
   H  T  T  P \n
  48 54 54 50 0a

$ od -txlz filename
  48 54 54 50 0a                                   >HTTP.<

--Kevin

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/