Subject: Re: Sharing a single cygwin installation among multiple clients machines (FAQ alert)
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 11:33:25 -0500

On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 09:22:47PM +0800, Frank Seide wrote:
>Maybe you don't need a functioning CygWin installation to run 'mount'.

If you have cygwin1.dll and mount.exe, you have a "functioning cygwin".

I don't know where the myth started that you need a full installation,
installed by setup.exe, for cygwin to operate correctly but that is not
the case.

You need the DLL and a program that uses it.  That's all.

If you want to use the mount tables, then you use mount to set them up.
mount does, of course, rely on the cygwin dll.  It uses the dll's facilities
to establish the mount table.

You don't need to use the mount table, though.  Everything should be
accessible via /cygdrive/{a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n,o,p,q,r,s,t,u,v,w,x,y,z}
or via //system/share .

So, to summarize: You don't need bash, ash, or ssmtp.  You just need the
DLL and a program.

And, to reiterate what I said previously, if you do need the mount table,
use mount to establish it.  Please don't mess with the registry directly.

cgf

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/