Subject: /usr/bin/env - Incorrect parsing of #! line?
From: [email-masked] (Peter J. Acklam)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 19:38:21 +0100

I use different computers where Perl is installed different
places, so I can't hardcode the location of perl in the shebang
line.  Thus, I use env, which works great on all UNIXes I work on,
for instance

    #!/usr/bin/env perl -w

    print "This is Perl version $]\n";

but on Cygwin I get

    /usr/bin/env: perl -w: No such file or directory

why does Cygwin look for the file "perl -w".  No UNIX I have
worked on would parse the shebang line that way.

Peter

-- 
People say I'm indifferent, but I don't care.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/