Subject: RE: "LINES" environment variable
From: "Stephano Mariani" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Scott Prive'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 19:52:53 -0000

I am using the windows 2000 command prompt, which does not impose a
limit (and is set to 80 anyway). Nevertheless, I tried this using rxvt
and found that the variable was not set (I cant imagine that the
environment variable was not `picked-up', something must be changing it,
and I just haven't figured out why). I have tried this under linux and
all was well, I am convinced that cygwin is involved.

I have also set the variable as part of the global environment, and
after a reboot, found that all non-cygwin processes reported the correct
value, whereas cygwin processes did not.

I will investigate when I have some more time.

Stephano Mariani

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Prive [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, 11 February 2002 7 36
To: Stephano Mariani
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: "LINES" environment variable

Stephano,

Sorry I do not have a ready answer, but I can give you some test ideas
that will help isolate your problem some. This will help if you have a
"personal" problem with your PC, or you need to file a defect report.

Someone suggested you set your Command Prompt window size. Did you try
anything here yet? 

If I recall, the MS "DOS Prompt" is sized to 24 or 25 lines. Maybe this
is picked up somewhere and overrided your setting? The Cygwin shell (I
presume) "uses" the Microsoft command prompt window. In the Properties
for your Cygwin shell, resize the lines to be 50. Then try running your
app in *this* Window.

Remember, if you change an environment variable, it is only visible for
NEW child processes. So, to see it everywhere you must exit out of all
your open shells, and re-open them.

Test if "other" NT variables can be picked up in Cygwin, and are not
overwritten. I  recall a case where my USER variable was  overwritten (I
wanted mine to be "root", not "Administrator") but I did not pursue this
problem. Cygwin did not overwrite my "HOME" variable however, so there
must be some special cases.

If you are wondering how other shells and subshells handle this, I would
suggest creating a small nested shell script to test this. You might
discover something useful for a bug report -- or you may find a livable
workaround.

Sorry I can't help more... I don't know much about innards of Cygwin and
WinNT. I'm more of a Linux guy, and I like how Cygwin brings a bit of
civility to an otherwise barbaric Windows platform. ;-)

-Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephano Mariani [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2002 2:15 PM
To: Scott Prive
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: "LINES" environment variable
Importance: High

I have tried everything, but some hard-coded value must exist.
The only way it seems to work is when I explicitly execute an export.
I can do this using bash easily, but what about ash (/bin/sh) or any
other cygwin program (perhaps ones started outside of bash).

TIA
Stephano Mariani

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Prive [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, 11 February 2002 2 54
To: Stephano Mariani
Subject: RE: "LINES" environment variable

I'm curious as to why Cygwin isn't pickup your NT environment variable,
but you can export this variable from your ~/.bash_profile (if you don't
mind it being picked up for everything you might run from the shell).

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephano Mariani [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2002 6:39 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: "LINES" environment variable
Importance: High

Where can I override the LINES environment variable? I need to run some
programs that use this value to determine the display characteristics.

I have set it to 50 in the system environment in windows, but echo
$LINES says 25.

Stephano Mariani

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/