Subject: RE: home directory problems
From: "fergus at bonhard dot uklinux dot net" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 06:55:05 -0000

Yes. You are probably installing on W98? I believe the problem has been
identified and solved in principle and (presumably?) the solution will at
some stage be implemented. For the moment you can get round things as
follows:

    mkdir /home/{yourname}

and move anything there that you need to, in the way of your own
.bash_profile, .bashrc, .inputrc, etc. (There may be none of these; but
whatever's currently in /usr/bin/{yourname}/ is probably specific to you.
When I experienced this problem, /usr/bin/{myname}/ was empty.)

Then edit the file /etc/passwd which probably looks something like this

             {yourname}::500:544::{yourname}:/bin/bash

to this:

             {yourname}::500:544::/home/{yourname}:/bin/bash

If you then close Cygwin and then start it up again everything should work
fine.

Fergus

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/