Subject: Re: gcc broken in 1.3.9 ?
From: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <[email-masked]>
To: "Phil Smith" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 16:44:00 -0500

Hi Phil,

I don't mean to imply that you aren't capable or experienced with Cygwin.
I do mean to point out that setup.exe is supposed to install binutils
automatically if you install gcc.  Since Pavel suggested that this may
be your problem, I wanted to make sure that the general public reading 
this list did not believe that setup didn't understand package 
dependencies (which it does).  If you're having a problem here (it sounds
like you're not), it's a bug and we need to get more information about 
this.

Pavel and I both felt that the information you gave to the list on this
matter was insufficient to help you diagnose the problem at your end.  As
I said, setup.exe will install binutils and anything else it needs unless
you tell it to do otherwise.  Without more information, I certainly can't
be sure of what you did and how you did it.  That was the basis for my
comments about your installation.  

With the slightly more detailed information you provided in your response,
I can say a couple of things.  First, if you skipped nothing, then I'm
assuming you installed with setup.exe and that you now have gcc and 
binutils installed.  If it doesn't work for you, it may well be that 
you had previously set some environment for gcc, which worked fine with
the old installation, but which confuses the new.  You might want to check
into that.  In addition, looking at the output of cygcheck -s -r -v may
prove helpful.  In particular, I notice you mentioned below that you 
previously had a cygwin1.dll in your /winnt directory.  This is a 
non-standard place to install this DLL.  setup.exe won't put it there.
If you want to be sure your custom installation isn't causing you problems,
you need to undo all the changes you did and reinstall using setup.exe in
the way it installs things.  If you tinker with file locations manually
after the install, that's your prerogative but the list really can't help
you debug that installation.  The most that can be said is 'delete all the
current stuff and reinstall again', which is pretty much what I've been 
saying.  That's all I was trying to get across.

Hope that helps clarify things,

Larry Hall                              [email-masked]
RFK Partners, Inc.                      http://www.rfk.com
838 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
Holliston, MA 01746                     (508) 893-9889 - FAX

At 04:08 PM 2/1/2002, Phil Smith wrote:

>I actually saved the entire distribution to disk, removed the old c:/cygwin and c:/winnt/cygwin1.dll and installed with NOTHING skipped, and had the same problem.
>
>FYI: It is installed on NT 4.0 SP 5. I have been running as Administrator. Also, I've used Cygwin for 6 years and ported dozens of applications / utilities, so I don't consider myself a novice to the Cygwin environment.
>
>Phil Smith
>
>>From: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <[email-masked]>
>>To: Pavel Tsekov <[email-masked]>
>>CC: Phil Smith <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
>>Subject: Re: gcc broken in 1.3.9 ?
>>Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 10:21:49 -0500
>>
>>At 10:11 AM 2/1/2002, Pavel Tsekov wrote:
>>
>>
>> >Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
>> >
>> >>At 03:47 AM 2/1/2002, Pavel Tsekov wrote:
>> >>
>> >>>Maybe you haven't installed the gcc or binutils package. To  bring
>> >>>everything back to normal just run again the setup.exe program and
>> >>>make sure you select both binutils and gcc packages. If the problem
>> >>>still persists you have to attach the output of the failing build
>> >>>and send it to the list.
>> >>>
>> >>>Phil Smith wrote:
>> >>>
>> >>>
>> >>>>After installing Cygwin 1.3.9, I found I could no longer compile any sources with gcc. I installed it on top of a Cygwin 1.3.3 installation which I have been using for many months to build successfully port new versions of gdb, tcl, tk and a very large set of application code. What might be the problem ?
>> >>
>> >>Hm.  Unless something is broken or there was a cockpit error, installing
>> >>gcc should install binutils by default via setup.  Is this not the case?
>> >
>> >What if Phile left gcc in te skip state ?  Well maybe I've assumed too
>> >much :( Still I hope he will provide the output of the build.
>>
>>
>>That would be helpful.  Still, it's unclear how he has gcc and not binutils
>>if he skipped the gcc installation.  More information is needed about what
>>he installed and didn't install and how he installed it.  But this
>>information may prove academic.  Simply rerunning setup and installing
>>gcc, double-checking that binutils is installed too as part of this should
>>be all that's necessary to resolve the problem.  This is a specific
>>application of the very good rule of thumb "if you don't see it after the
>>first install, install again and make sure it's selected for installation".
>>
>>
>>
>>Larry Hall                              [email-masked]
>>RFK Partners, Inc.                      http://www.rfk.com
>>838 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
>>Holliston, MA 01746                     (508) 893-9889 - FAX
>
>
>_________________________________________________________________
>Join the world’s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. http://www.hotmail.com

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/