Subject: Re: gcc broken in 1.3.9 ?
From: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <[email-masked]>
To: Pavel Tsekov <[email-masked]>
Cc: Phil Smith <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 10:21:49 -0500

At 10:11 AM 2/1/2002, Pavel Tsekov wrote:

>Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
>
>>At 03:47 AM 2/1/2002, Pavel Tsekov wrote:
>>
>>>Maybe you haven't installed the gcc or binutils package. To  bring
>>>everything back to normal just run again the setup.exe program and
>>>make sure you select both binutils and gcc packages. If the problem
>>>still persists you have to attach the output of the failing build
>>>and send it to the list.
>>>
>>>Phil Smith wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>After installing Cygwin 1.3.9, I found I could no longer compile any sources with gcc. I installed it on top of a Cygwin 1.3.3 installation which I have been using for many months to build successfully port new versions of gdb, tcl, tk and a very large set of application code. What might be the problem ?
>>
>>Hm.  Unless something is broken or there was a cockpit error, installing
>>gcc should install binutils by default via setup.  Is this not the case?
>
>What if Phile left gcc in te skip state ?  Well maybe I've assumed too
>much :( Still I hope he will provide the output of the build.

That would be helpful.  Still, it's unclear how he has gcc and not binutils
if he skipped the gcc installation.  More information is needed about what
he installed and didn't install and how he installed it.  But this 
information may prove academic.  Simply rerunning setup and installing
gcc, double-checking that binutils is installed too as part of this should
be all that's necessary to resolve the problem.  This is a specific 
application of the very good rule of thumb "if you don't see it after the
first install, install again and make sure it's selected for installation".

Larry Hall                              [email-masked]
RFK Partners, Inc.                      http://www.rfk.com
838 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
Holliston, MA 01746                     (508) 893-9889 - FAX

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/