Subject: RE: Compiling apps to Mingw32 with cygwin
From: "Jon Leichter" <[email-masked]>
To: "Earnie Boyd" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, "Robert Collins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 10:29:01 -0800

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf
> Of Earnie Boyd
> Sent: Monday, January 14, 2002 5:43 AM
> To: Robert Collins
> Cc: Jon Leichter; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Compiling apps to Mingw32 with cygwin
>
> You need to narrow your thinking to GCC and binutils the processes of
> consequence.  You only need to specify the triplet because config.guess
> guesses wrong based on the value of `uname -s'.  The cygwin binutils as
> named will produce executables that use MSVCRT.DLL instead of
> CYGWIN1.DLL without having to do anything special with their names or
> output.  So, my statement stands based on what happens with GCC, you're
> switching the build environment.
>

Earnie,

According to GNU documenation, the following utilities are a part of
binutils:

	ar, nm, objcopy, objdump, ranlib, readelf, size, strings,
	strip, c++filt, cxxfilt, nlmconv, windres, dlltool

Which of these utilities "produces executables that use MSVCRT.DLL"? I don't
think any of them do. The binutils package that distributes with Cygwin
(which is what I use) are Cygwin binaries; they are dependent on
CYGWIN1.DLL. They're also all quite happy to operate on MinGW binaries.

GCC, of course, is a suite of tools (the only set, I believe) that generates
MinGW binaries (if, of course, the -mno-cygwin switch is specified). All
Cygwin GCC tools are STILL Cygwin binaries themselves; they all depend on
CYGWIN1.DLL.

I tend to agree with Robert's point of view. It seems to me that the "build"
environment is Cygwin.

In my mind, the only compelling reason NOT to use Cygwin as the "build"
value is because (with an up-to-date autoconf), the configure script would
NOT test executables if it were set to Cygwin. This condition may or may not
hurt the project builder. Thus, it still comes down to whichever build value
works best for the project builder.

Jon

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/