Subject: Child process assigned to wrong parent in xinit
From: Rodrigo Medina <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 00:10:27 GMT

Hello,
There is a bug in the control of processes of Cygwin. As I found it while
installing XFree86 I am sending this report to both mail lists.

My system is a Window 95-B with DirectX, CYGWIN_95-4.0, XFree86-4.1.0

I have put in ~/ a shell script .xinitrc for running xninit. The file
is a modification of the one that is provided in /etc/X11/xinit/ in the XFree
distribution.

The end of the shell script is like this

	...
	...
	# start some nice programs

	xclock -geometry 50x50-1+1 &
	xterm -geometry 80x40+10+51 &
	xterm -geometry 80x20+250+100 &
	xman -geometry 100x76+1+1 -pagesize 600x400+1+1 &
	exec twm

  After running the xinit command, the resulting Xwindow desk is VARIABLE.
Some times I get 2 xterm windows, some times 1 xterm window and in one case I
even got none. When there are 2 xterm windows some times everything is OK, but
some cases only one of the xterm windows has the bash shell. Some times the bash
shell that apears is the one that corresponds to the other xterm! This
can be deduced because it inherits the wrong number of lines, as it can be verified
by running vi. When this happens if one runs exit the xterm window does not
disappear,and if one exits from the twm menu, action that normally ends the Xwindow
window, twm terminates but the Xwindow desk does not. After closing the Xwindow
the hangging bash still appears in the ps command output with an S in front.
  It seems to me that there is a big problem with the control of processes of
cygwin, including the assignment of a child process to the wrong parent.

I hope that this paternity problem could be solved soon.

Rodrigo Medina
Centro de Física
[email-masked]

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/