Subject: Re: Compiling apps to Mingw32 with cygwin
From: "Robert Collins" <[email-masked]>
To: "Jon Leichter" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 13:16:05 +1100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Leichter" <[email-masked]>

> Thus... returning to the ORIGINAL topic of this thread... I had
recommended
> the following to the OP:
>
> $ env CC=mgcc ./configure --host=i686-pc-mingw32
>
> My new understanding of switches gives me new perspective. 'build' and
> 'target' will pickup the value of 'host'. In this context, you're
telling
> configure that the host == build == MinGW. I've said before that MinGW
in
> Cygwin is a loose cross-compile. So, it seems to me that this
configuration
> is ok, especially since 'host' binaries CAN successfully run in the
'build'
> environment.

Nope. because an autoconf script for mingw32 'build' may expect cp to be
'copy', sh to be cmd.exe and further stuff that will break or misbehave
on cygwin.

 $ env CC=mgcc ./configure --host=i686-pc-mingw32 --build=i686-pc-cygwin
is acceptable.

> We agreed that as of today that 'build', if not specified, gets the
value of
> 'host'. Even if this were to change, i.e. 'build' gets checked for
> automatically, my solution STILL works. In this case, it would be a
cross
> compile, but it should still work.

See above why it doesn't. mingw != cygwin :}.

> This leads one to draw the following conclusions:
>
...
> This whole thread went off on a tangent suggesting that my solution
was
> wrong. So tell me. If my solution works more often than the "proper"
one,
> how is it wrong?

Well.. I came in the thread late, so I get to say, 'huh, what, waddya
mean?'.

Rob

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/