Subject: RE: Compiling apps to Mingw32 with cygwin
From: "Jon Leichter" <[email-masked]>
To: "Robert Collins" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 17:20:42 -0800

Ok. I need to return to asking some questions with my new understanding
of --build, --host, and --target (which I'm incredibly grateful for and
happy about).

I have returned to working with OpenLDAP. The configure script is generated
with autconf-2.13.1. It uses AC_CANONICAL_SYSTEM, which you say is
deprecated. I assume, however, that it still works to some extent.

I tried to configure with the following:

	$ ./configure --build=i686-pc-cygwin --host=i686-pc-mingw32

I've left --target off, since I know it will get the value of --host, which
is what I want. It does.

First, some questions:

- What is correct: i386-pc-mingw32 or i686-pc-mingw32? If one is correct,
why? If both are correct, how does one decide which one to use?

- I notice that if I merely use --host=mingw32, config.guess will equate
"mingw32" as "i386-unknown-mingw32". Why?

- Is there a plan to get "32" from "mingw32", i.e. "mingw"? Of course, that
won't be useful with old projects that still need the "32" to be present...
:(

===

Now my results:

- I never see configure look for i686-pc-mingw32-gcc. It merely picks up
'gcc'. Any ideas why?

- I DO see configure look for ${host} binutils, i.e. i686-pc-mingw32-<tool>,
but since I don't have symlinks, it finds unprefixed versions of the tools.
This, of course, is what I want to happen.

Jon

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/