Subject: Re: Downloading problems - either won't D/L at all or truncates over 1MB
From: "Robert Collins" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Cc: "$Bill Luebkert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 20:26:03 +1100

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: "$Bill Luebkert" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2002 7:10 PM
Subject: Re: Downloading problems - either won't D/L at all or truncates
over 1MB

> On 10 Jan 2002 at 10:06, Robert Collins wrote:
>
> I am not behind a firewall but have also had various problems similar
to some of
> those reported by $Bill: servers that hung, file downloads that were
reported by
> setup.exe during the install phase as "incomplete," and so on. Not the
specific file size
> limit problem $Bill is reporting, I need to add to be precise.

Ok. If you can provide specifics - what mirror site server, does it
support passive/active FTP (if FTP), or what HTTP software (if HTTP),
are you using a proxy, if so what proxy (and version) and did it require
authentication, and are you using the IE settings, or direct, or manual
proxy - then we can start to look for patterns. All the above are
needed, because (for instance) you may be using private mirror sites.

> How I have handled the obstacles I have experienced --since I believed
that they
> were apparently "endemic" to the Cygwin setup system as it is
currently designed --
> was just to perservere -- sometimes losing hours of time in the
process -- until I could > finally get a good setup run.

Try the latest setup.exe snapshots. They support multiple mirrors to
address this issue.

> The most recent setup.exe is a major improvement in terms of clarity,
I gave a huge
> sigh of relief and wanted to stand up and cheer when I saw the totally
new heirarchical
> display style. That part of what's been accomplished is just great. I
believe that
> problems may exist on the server network side or with the programming
involved in
> that.

The problems *may* be in the setup code. However, setup will attempt to
use the MS inet helper library, which results in the same code as MSIE
uses being used to do the download. I hope thats not too buggy :}.

Rob

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/