Subject: Re: ksh on cygwin
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 20:11:28 -0500

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 01:50:46AM +0100, Karsten Fleischer wrote:
>Hi Cygwin folks,
>
>having seen some references to pdksh on the list today I think I must have a
>"coming out" now.
>I've been working with David Korn and Glenn Fowler some weeks ago to get the
>real ksh93 and all the other AT&T stuff (AST libraries and tools) going on
>Cygwin.
>There are still some problems here and there, but it works quite well now.
>We have found some SUSv2 incompatibilities and some inconsistencies within
>the Cygwin DLL.
>I've fixed most of them, but unfortunately my fixes are against the 1.3.3
>DLL, and you folks are quite ahead of me now.
>Also, some of my fixes mimic UWIN behavior...
>Cygwin developers, if you're interested, please feel free to contact me.

Sorry.  That's not how it works.

If you have patches to provide, check out the cygwin web page.  Click on
the "Contributing" link.

If you really are thinking about providing a modified version of the cygwin
DLL with ksh, then I hope you think again.  It's a very bad idea.

However, if you insist, I hope that you'll have a separate mailing list
available for support.  We definitely won't be supporting it here.

>Please mail to me at both of these addresses then so that I can reply on
>time:
>[email-masked]
>[email-masked]

Hmm.  How odd.

I assume that I have to spell this out:  Please reply to the mailing list.
That's how most free software projects get patches into the code base.

If you have questions, want to report bugs, or submit patches, the cygwin
mailing list is the place to do this.  It's sort of a shame that you weren't
doing that all along, in fact.

cgf

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/