Subject: Setting up user mode cron
From: Andrew DeFaria <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Andrew DeFaria <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 14:06:23 -0800

I've set up cron on my desktop according to /usr/doc/Cygwin/cron.README 
which states I should:

$ cygrunsrv -I cron -p /usr/sbin/cron -a D -e "CYGWIN=ntsec"
$ cygrunsrv -S cron

And I have the following crontab installed:

15 * * * * echo -e "Debugging cron $(date)\n"                >  
/tmp/cron.log
16 * * * * echo -e "Working directory:\n\n$(pwd)\n"          >> 
/tmp/cron.log
17 * * * * echo -e "ID info:\n\n$(id)\n"                     >> 
/tmp/cron.log
18 * * * * echo -e "Directory listing:\n\n$(ls)\n"           >> 
/tmp/cron.log
19 * * * * echo -e "Script file:\n\n$(ls /tmp/update_view)\n" >> 
/tmp/cron.log
20 * * * * echo -e "Executing: /tmp/update_view defaria"     >> 
/tmp/cron.log
21 * * * * /tmp/update_view defaria                          >> 
/tmp/cron.log

The resulting output is:

Debugging cron Wed Jan  9 13:15:01  2002

Working directory:

/home/adefaria

ID info:

uid=1370(adefaria) gid=513(Domain Users) groups=0(Everyone),512(Domain 
Admins),513(Domain Users),1170(Everybody),1382(ITSupport)

Directory listing:

Script file:

/tmp/update_view

Executing: /tmp/update_view defaria

It seems like cron works OK and runs as me in my home directory but I 
cannot access nor run any scripts! Not even in /tmp! Why?

Executing this script from the command line yeilds:

$ /tmp/update_view defaria
update_view: Warning: View pname does not exist: defaria

View pnames should be UNC names that lead to the top of the view
For example: //sons-clearcase/Views/<viewname>

Finally I received an email from cron that stated simply 
"/tmp/update_view: not found". So then, how does one set up cron such 
that one can use it to run scripts?

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/