Subject: Re: How do I use a socks server with cygwin?
From: Jason Tishler <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: CyberZombie <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 14:48:58 -0500

On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 02:01:20PM -0500, Jason Tishler wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 09:18:07AM -0600, CyberZombie wrote:
> > Can you elaborate how you did this?
> 
> Once the Hummingbird SOCKS proxy software is installed, all that you need
> to do is create a socks.cnf file.  See attached for a sample.  This it!
> You are done!  It's that easy!
> 
> If you are looking for just a ssh/SOCKS solution then try the following:
> 
>     http://www.imasy.or.jp/~gotoh/ssh/connect.c
>     
> This is what I used before I found the generic Hummingbird solution.

Thanks to the @Home to Comcast conversion, I have obtained empirical
evidence that Shun-ichi GOTO's ssh specific solution is *much* better
than the Hummingbird generic SOCKS solution (at least for ssh).

Even though I use the Hummingbird solution for everything else,
I was still using connect because I perceived it to be faster, have
less latency, and be more robust.  Although, given the generally poor
performance of my company's SOCKS server, it was hard to be sure.

I forgot to change my .ssh/config file to reflect my new IP address due
to the @Home conversion.  Hence, for the last few days I was unknowingly
using Hummingbird instead of connect.  I was very unhappy with the
horrible performance.  Then I realized that I was not using connect.
Once I fixed my .ssh/config file and started using connect again, my
SOCKS/ssh performance returned to the pre-conversion levels.

I would like to publicly thank Shun-ichi GOTO for providing this
valuable tool.

Jason

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/