Subject: Re: Control-C, SIGINT, ConsoleCtrlHandler...
From: Christopher Faylor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 12:47:37 -0500

If you are writing cygwin programs, don't use windows signal mechanisms
like SetConsoleCtrlHandler.  Just use signal()/kill(), et al.

If your program does not use cygwin then investigate the currently active
thread "bash/cmd CTRL-C problem...".

cgf

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 12:31:47PM -0500, Timothy Wall wrote:
>I'm trying to get some consistent behavior under the command shell and cygwin,
>tho' without much luck so far.  I'd like to know if there's a canonical
>SIGINT/SIGTERM handling convention for console processes (taking cygwin into
>account, or barring that for invocations in cmd.exe only).
>
>The important thing for my program is that it perform certain cleanup
>operations on exit (normally taken care of with a signal handler attached to
>SIGINT/SIGTERM).
>
>Under the cmd.exe, the handler usually gets called when it's installed with
>signal() or with SetConsoleCtrlHandler (there have been cases where it does
>not, but I can't reliably reproduce them...).
>
>Under bash, however, it looks like the consolectrlhandler never even gets a
>chance to finish before the process is wiped.  Installing with signal() also
>seems that the process is wiped before the cleanup gets a chance to run.
>
>(the handler sets a flag which the main thread uses to determine that it's
>time to exit).

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/