Subject: Re: Heimdal 0.4e and Cygwin
From: Nicolas Williams <[email-masked]>
To: "Gerrit P. Haase @ cygwin" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 16:46:20 -0500

On Sat, Jan 05, 2002 at 12:53:22AM +0100, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> Hallo Nicolas,
> 
> Am 2002-01-04 um 22:11 schriebst du:
> 
> > ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --disable-otp ; make
> 
> > Works, well, almost works.
> 
> > The only serious problems appear to be:
> 
> >  - Cygwin defines iruserok() in unistd.h but does not provide an
> >    implementation, therefore ./configure detects that iruserok() is
> >    missing and lib/roken/iruserok.c fails to compile because it
> >    redefines iruserok()!
> 
> $ nm libutil.a | grep iruserok
> iruserok.o:
> 00000108 T _iruserok

Well, rshd.exe from Heimdal doesn't link. Must libutil be passed in the
gcc command line to the linker? Ah, most likely. Ok. So I'll have to add
a configure check for this.

Thanks for the tip. With this Heimdal should build with no
intervention on Cygwin.

> >    Cygwin needs a fix, if anything, but I'm not sure how to workaround
> >    this.  I worked around it by manually editing config.h and
> >    lib/roken/Makefile... The only thing that fails to build then is
> >    rshd.exe.
> 
> >  - The same klist.exe binary in /tmp/heimdal-0.4e/kuser/klist.exe works,
> >    but, the *same* binary, located in /usr/local/bin/. Then again, if I
> >    copy klist.exe to /usr/bin/ it works.
> 
> >    Cygwin is slowly making me crazy. Time to dig through the FAQs or the
> >    Cygwin lists... and I'm not finding anything.
> 
> >    Is there something magical about /usr/local/ on Cygwin that prevents
> >    binaries I compile from working?
> 
> No. Sounds strange.

Doesn't it?

I've configured/made/installed with --prefix=/usr/local and
/usr/heimdal. The latter works, the former doesn't (a dialog comes up
with the following error message:

"The procedure entry point ___progname could not be located in the
dynamic link library cygwin1.dll"

> Gerrit
> -- 
> =^..^=                                        mailto:[email-masked]

Cheers,

Nico
--
-DISCLAIMER: an automatically appended disclaimer may follow. By posting-
-to a public e-mail mailing list I hereby grant permission to distribute-
-and copy this message.-

Visit our website at http://www.ubswarburg.com

This message contains confidential information and is intended only 
for the individual named.  If you are not the named addressee you 
should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.  Please 
notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this 
e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free 
as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, 
arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.  The sender therefore 
does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents 
of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.  If 
verification is required please request a hard-copy version.  This 
message is provided for informational purposes and should not be 
construed as a solicitation or offer to buy or sell any securities or 
related financial instruments.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/