Subject: Compiling Berkeley db for Ruby under Cygwin
From: "Albert L. Wagner" <[email-masked]>
To: Cygwin <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 11:40:31 -0600

Even as a Linux user, I probably stay as confused about compiling
under cygwin as some windows users. I cannot figure out just
where the linker is looking to find cygwin-ruby16.  The only
cygwin-ruby16 on my Win2k machine is D:\ruby\bin\cygwin-16.dll. 
I installed Ruby1.6.5 from the executable installer into
D:\ruby.  I also have cygwin installed in D:\cygwin. I have tried
several variations of the --with-db-* options and have moved
shortcuts of cygwin-16.dll to several different directories.  But
I still cannot get past the following error.  I would appreciate
any tips.  Thanks ahead for your help.

$ make
make[1]: Entering directory `/pkg/bdb-0.2.7/src'
dllwrap --target=cygwin --as=as --dlltool-name=dlltool
--driver-name=gcc --expor
t-all -s --def=bdb.def -L/usr/local/cygwin-local/lib
-L/cygdrive/d/ruby/lib  -L/
usr/local/lib -o bdb.so bdb.o common.o cursor.o delegator.o env.o
lock.o log.o r
ecnum.o transaction.o -L. -lcygwin-ruby16 -ldb
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/2.95.3-5/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld:
cann
ot find -lcygwin-ruby16
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
dllwrap: gcc exited with status 1
make[1]: *** [bdb.so] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/pkg/bdb-0.2.7/src'
make: *** [all] Error 2

-- 
"It requires wisdom to understand wisdom:
 the music is nothing if the audience is deaf."
 - Walter Lippman

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/