Subject: RE: inetd -- service wont start at boottime on Win XP (add me to the pile)
From: "Habermann, David (DA)" <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 08:08:45 -0500

I, too, could not make this work (in my case to start SSHD as a service),
even after an exhaustive search of this list archive.  What I ended up with
was using the "Scheduled Tasks" control panel to schedule a "cygrunsrv"
task.  This task is scheduled to run "At system startup" and uses the
command

C:\cygwin\bin\cygrunsrv.exe -S sshd

This apparently delays startup sufficiently that all of the necessary
resources are available.  I've heard a rumor (which I've not be able to
substantiate but does fit my experience) that the portion of the OS that
allows services to be started "dependent on Tcpip" has been "underdeveloped"
(see http://www.queso.com/autoFrontier.htm).

David Habermann

-----Original Message-----
From: Dr. Andrew Mayer [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2001 5:31 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: inetd -- service wont start at boottime on Win XP (add me to
the pile)

Subject: inetd -- service wont start at boottime on Win XP (add me to
the pile)

Like many others, I can't seem to get inetd started at boottime as a
service.  Without much effort I can get it to setup as a service set to
'automatic,' but it wont start on its own.  After I boot and login I
have to start it manually.  

System is WinXP with latest Cygwin

I've tried all the ideas I've seen from
	inetutils-1.3.2.README, e.g., 
		--install-as-service
		cygwin1.dll in path
	this mailing list, e.g., 
		Mark Himsley's add a dependency idea
         http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2001-11/msg01905.html
         Shawn Behrens' add a Description idea
         http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2001-11/msg01891.html

	erdelynet.com 

So far, nothing seems to work :(

Here are my associated log entries from the "System" log (the error
messages
about inetd failing to start) and the the 'Application' log, showing me
successfully starting it by hand.

It turns out that I can't get sshd to boot-start either, probably for
the same unknown reasons.  That's also fine as a hand started service
invoked with cygrunsrv.

Ideas anyone?

Thanks,
Andrew
-----

Event Type:	Error
Event Source:	Service Control Manager
Event Category:	None
Event ID:	7009
Date:		12/19/2001
Time:		11:56:46 PM
User:		N/A
Computer:	XXXXXXXX
Description:
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the CYGWIN inetd service to
connect.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type:	Error
Event Source:	Service Control Manager
Event Category:	None
Event ID:	7000
Date:		12/19/2001
Time:		11:56:46 PM
User:		N/A
Computer:	XXXXXXXX
Description:
The CYGWIN inetd service failed to start due to the following error: 
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely
fashion. 

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

-----

Event Type:	Information
Event Source:	inetd
Event Category:	None
Event ID:	0
Date:		12/19/2001
Time:		11:57:18 PM
User:		NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer:	XXXXXXXX
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( inetd ) cannot be found.
The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be
able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help
and Support for details. The following information is part of the event:
inetd : Win32 Process Id = 0x370 : Cygwin Process Id = 0x370 : `inetd'
service started

_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/