Subject: Re: RPM 4 under cygwin
From: Jean-Michel POURE <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 11:23:23 +0100

Le Jeudi 20 Décembre 2001 10:04, vous avez écrit :
> Don't like my superior tone?  I don't blame you -- it's very irritating
> to be "talked down to" as if one was a child playing with adult toys.
> Want to know why I took such an abrasive tone?

Sorry for my tone.

In fact, I like RPM and would like very much to see my beloved Cygwin support 
RPM packages (natively or not). 

The reason is rather selfish : I would like to start an RPM installation 
project for PHP code (for libraries and applications, not the executable 
itself).

Communities (PEAR, BinaryCloud) propose XML based installation solutions. In 
my humble opinion, the proposed solutions will never reach the power of RPM. 
As a result, existing PHP libraries are not widely reused/shared by common 
programs. For example, PhpMyAdmin and PhpPgAdmin do not make an extensive use 
of common libraries. People start several projects that come down to the same 
things (i.e. PhpOracleAdmin, PhpMyAdmin, ..., Nuke, PowerNuke, etc...).

Another example is pgAdmin, the windows administration interface of 
PostgreSQL that I contribute to. We use an $ installation program which does 
not have the power and flexibility of RPM. Furthermore, pgAdmin is based on 
pgSchema (abstraction layer) which could be installed and maintained as a 
separete library if we had RPM.

OK, I stop here as this is not the Cygwin concern. The need for RPM under 
Windows is general. The power of RPM is to be able to share material. Any RPM 
solution under Windows is welcome (based on Cygwin or not). 

Also, thank you all for this great Cygwin software. I hope to be one day able 
to install KDE2 from Cygwin...

Best regards,
Jean-Michel POURE

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/