Subject: Re: dll_list::load_after_fork() blues (was Re: [ python-Bugs-489709 ] Building Fails ...)
From: "Robert Collins" <[email-masked]>
To: "Jason Tishler" <[email-masked]>, "Cygwin" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Michael Hudson" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 19:26:37 +1100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Tishler" <[email-masked]>
>           - cygwin1.dll: since I believe that it relies on being based
>             at 0x61000000

It does not rely on any base address per se. It *does* reply on the base
address being consistent between forked/spawned and exec'd parent and
children. That means that the base address must be one of the following:
a) Whatever is in the .dll, in all cygwin processs (for a given process
hierarchy). (ie it can be different for different invocations of
cygwin.bat).
b) Relocated consistently on the fly in all cygwin processs (for a given
process hierarchy). (ie it can be different for different invocations of
cygwin.bat).

>           - cygcurl-2.dll: because it gets "whacked" by rebase and
>             AFAICT is not used by Python anyway

Can you detail 'whack' a little more?

>           - cygtclpip80.dll: because it appears not to be relocatable

What error do you get?

> Unfortunately, when I run the complete Python regression test, I still
> get the same three test failures as reported by Michael without
rebasing:
>
>     test_popen2
>     test_pty
>     test_socket
>
> When I run these tests individually (i.e., not part of the complete
test
> suite), then they pass.  Hence, the rebasing appears not to completely
> solve this problem.

Can you get process explorer to show their address space - get them to
fail, and stop rather than terminating (usually there is a dialog you
could leave open or you can use the CYGWIN debug flags).

Rob

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/