Subject: RE: Object File format
From: "Satya Nemana" <[email-masked]>
To: "Ray Campbell" <[email-masked]>, "egor duda" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 11:26:59 -0500

Egor,

I am grateful to you, the author of this book, and the whole CYGWIN
community to provide such a useful information like this. I downloaded
this book, read it a little, could not wait apprciating this and so I am
sending this email.

-Satya

-----Original Message-----
From: Ray Campbell [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2001 2:16 PM
To: egor duda
Subject: RE: Object File format

Thank you very much for your information.  I am surprised you answered
so
quickly ( and most grateful as well).  Hope to contribute something of
use
in the future and keep up the good work.  I really love cygwin.  I am a
c++
programmer by trade, but unemployed due to the WTC disaster.  Thanks
again,
and have a very good holiday season.

Ray

-----Original Message-----
From: egor duda [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2001 1:19 PM
To: Ray Campbell
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Object File format

Hi!

Thursday, 13 December, 2001 Ray Campbell [email-masked] wrote:

RC> I am trying to learn more about compiler development, and thus more
RC> information about ELF files.  I thought that c++ object files were
in
the
RC> ELF format, generated in cygwin with the c++ compiler, but when I
try to
RC> read them, either with readelf, or in debug, they don't appear to
be.
Is
RC> there anyway I can generate these files in elf format?  Or am I just
doing
RC> something wrong?  Thank you in advance for your time.

the format of files generated by gcc depends on platform. it's ELF for
linux/freebsd/a bunch of other unices, COFF for windows, etc. windows
can't run ELF binaries, and gcc provided with cygwin is intended to
produce windows executables. if you want to build ELF executables for,
say, linux, you should build gcc as cross-compiler.

I'd suggest an excellent book "Linkers and loaders" by John Levine
(you can download a draft from http://www.iecc.com/linker/) -- it
describes in great detail how all those things work.

a good introduction to cross-compilation stuff can be found at
http://www.airs.com/ian/configure/

Egor.            mailto:[email-masked] ICQ 5165414 FidoNet 2:5020/496.19

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/