Subject: ghostscript binmode weirdness
From: "Gregory W. Bond" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 23:56:27 -0500

i cannot get ghostscript to generate non-corrupted pdf files unless
everything is happens on binmode mounts - is there no way that i can
force binmode treatment on a text mount? i've read and re-read the
cygwin manual and experimented with a zillion variations but nothing
seems to work

i've isolated the problem to the point when ghostscript writes the pdf
file - if it writes the file to a textmode mount it is guaranteed to be
corrupted due to the translation of LF to CRLF - i can't seem to prevent
this from occurring even when the CYGWIN var is set to binmode prior to
launching any cygwin shell - i wish i could move all my mounts to
binmode but this will screw up too many other things - anyone have any
suggestions for me?

here are a few details concerning the problem

the value of CYGWIN is set prior to launching any cygwin shell

$ echo $CYGWIN
binmode

i'm using the latest cygwin version of ghostscript

$ gs -version
GNU Ghostscript 6.51 (2001-03-28)
Copyright (C) 2001 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA.  All rights reserved.

it doesn't matter how i choose to write the pdf file, it always ends up
corrupted when it's written to a textmode mount

gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -q -sOutputFile=blah.pdf - < blah.ps

cat blah.ps | gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -q - > blah.pdf

here are my mounts - i'm running ghostscript in a directory on the one
textmode mount

$ mount
C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type user (binmode)
C:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type user (binmode)
C:\cygwin on / type user (binmode)
c:\users on /home type system (textmode)
c: on /cygdrive/c type user (binmode,noumount)

--
Gregory W. Bond
AT&T Labs - Research
180 Park Avenue, Rm. D273, Bldg. 103
P.O. Box 971, Florham Park, NJ, 07932-0971, USA
tel: (973) 360 7216 fax: (973) 360 8187

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/