Subject: Re: Windows 2000 Junction Points
From: Corinna Vinschen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Gerald Villemure <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 19:14:40 +0100

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 11:36:01AM -0600, Kim, Anthony wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 06, 2001, Gerald Villemure wrote:
> 
> > There is a tool in the Win2K ResKit called "linkd.exe" which will alow you
> > to create "Junction Points" from the command line.
> > 
> > Hope this helps,
> > Gerald
> 
> Yes, this tool exists and I use it :)
> But I mean to say, wouldn't it be nice and consistent if
> ln -s <dir> <link> worked like linkd as opposed to creating a
> shortcut. I am aware of "mount" under cygwin but the mount is not
> exported to Windows.

I have checked if it makes sense using reparse points for symlinks
once when W2K was new.  We had to reject using them since they are
not as flexible as we need it to get POSIX symlinks.  Main reason is
that they have to be absolute windows paths.  So they would have to
be changed each time the mount table is changed in a way which would
influence them.  Many POSIX symlinks are relative links to their
target.  That's completely impossible.  And reparse points to files
aren't supported at all.

They looked good on the first glimpse but after looking under the
hood they are just halfhearted implementations of real symlinks.

Corinna

-- 
Corinna Vinschen                  Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
Cygwin Developer                                mailto:[email-masked]
Red Hat, Inc.

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/