Subject: Re: cygwin 1.3.6-3 and xemacs
From: Peter Keller <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 10:02:21 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

Hi,

I've had the same problem as Ryan, and I have had to roll back to cygwin
1.3.5 as well. I can tell you that the problem has something to do with
/cygdrive: what I have found is that visiting a file whose path begins
with /cygdrive using C-x C-f, or using "File->Open..." on a directory that
has been mapped to Windows drive where cygwin provides access to the drive
via /cygdrive, does not work.

If you mount a directory to something other than /cygdrive (e.g. directly
underneath /) then it seems OK.

On the Xemacs lists: go to
http://list-archive.xemacs.org/xemacs-nt/200112/threads.html and search in
the page for for 'cygwin'.

There has also been some confusion in the cygwin mailing list with another
problem to do with file completion in bash: see
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2001-12/msg00175.html . Fixing the
shell file completion problem has NOT fixed the xemacs problem (although
Christopher Faylor's thinking that it it might was not unreasonable).

I don't know whether the problem is with cygwin or xemacs, but this is an
unfortunate thing to happen to two fantastic software projects that ought
to work seamlessly with each other. I hope that the relevant people on the
cygwin and xemacs teams will put their heads together and figure this out
as quickly as possible.

Regards,
Peter.

-- 
========================================================================
Peter Keller.                     | "Research without indebtedness is
European Bioinformatics Institute,|  suspect, and somebody must always,
Hinxton Hall,                     |  somehow, be thanked."
Cambridge, CB10 1SD, UK           |                     --- Umberto Eco
-----------------------------------
Email: [email-masked] |
Tel. (+44/0)1223 494637 | Macromolecular Structure Database
Fax. (+44/0)1223 494468 | http://msd.ebi.ac.uk
========================================================================

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/