Subject: Strange performance of Bash depending of current directory
From: apiic <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 10:56:19 +0000

Hi,

At first, thank you for CYGWIN environment which is so useful, specially 
for me to settle shells both on NT stations et UNIX stations. 
I ask about a strange problem about Bash performances
of scripts depending of the type of NT local directory.

I maintain a bash profile running on NT4 station with CYGWIN and on IRIX station. 
This profile is stored on UNIX (IRIX station with Samba) server.

Some users complaint about low performances of this profile running on 
their NT4 station.
I found that all users complaining got their home directory on UNIX 
station (net use with Samba).
The others got their home directory on NT station.

So I wrote a little script and tested it, first in local directory and 
second in Samba directory. Here is the result :

1) Running script in local directory (c:/users/<username>)    2 seconds
2) Running script in share directory (net use Samba)          4 seconds

Script :

#!/bin/bash

for ligne in $(mount | grep system | tr -s [:space:] | sed 's/ /,/g' )
do
   path=$(echo $ligne | sed 's/,/ /g' | cut -f1 -d " ")
   point=$(echo $ligne | sed 's/,/ /g' | cut -f3 -d " ")
   echo $point monte sur $path
done

It appears that performances of scripts depend of the current directory 
in which they are run. I made several tests and it seems that variable HOME
and variable PATH have no relation with this behaviour.

I read FAQ and Mailing list archive without any answer about this problem
Thank you for helping

-- 
Arnaud GAND

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/