Subject: Re: gcc not creating .exe
From: "David A. Cobb" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 18:56:49 -0500

[email-masked] wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> 
> 
>>On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 06:06:30PM -0800, [email-masked] wrote:
>>
>>>On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>>
>>>>On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 02:52:03PM -0800, [email-masked] wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>Excellent! Hiding the cygwin1.dll in /usr/local/lib fixed the gcc
>>>>>problem, and it also fixed my "disappearing stderr" problem.
>>>>>
>>>>Why are you putting a version of cygwin in /usr/local/lib???  This is
>>>>clearly wrong.
>>>>
>>>You assume too much.  I never put any DLLs anywhere - it was like that
>>>when I installed cygwin.
>>>
>>I'm not assuming anything.  I *know* that no standard cygwin package
>>installs a /usr/local/*/cygwin1.dll.  In fact, AFAICT, there is no
>>usr/local anywhere in the cygwin distribution, nor should there be.
>>
>>A moments worth of thought would lead you to this conclusion.  Do you
>>see all sorts of people complaining about the problems that you're
>>seeing?  No.  Why do you think that is?  Luck?
>>
>>So, if you truly have a /usr/local directory, it comes from something
>>that you have either downloaded or built from outside of the standard
>>cygwin distribution.
>>
>>
> 
> Okay.
> 
> I'm sorry if my previous reply came off as smart-assed.  I should have
> thought about it a few more seconds before I sent it out.
> 
> I am quite positive that I have not myself installed anything in 
> /usr/local - aside from running the Cygwin setup, I'm doing my development
> in /home, and I'm not getting anywhere _near_ doing DLL work.  All I'm
> looking for is a simple Linux-style development environment without having
> to dual-boot my laptop.  I wouldn't know where to start on the Windows
> side. (I am an utter novice, would-be Cygwin user.)
> 
> Is it possible that the mirror that I used (rcn) is not giving out the
> standard cygwin distribution?  Are there any decisions I could make in the
> setup utility that would result in me getting a non-standard load, with a
> cygwin1.dll in /usr/local?  That's all I can think of at this point.
> 
> Thanks,
> David

Chris already mentioned that SETUP does create an empty /usr/local

tree.  If you have installed, e.g. Xemacs, it is probably installed 

into /usr/local/lib/. . . . because that's one of the "normal" places

for software that's specific to your site.
-- 
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate, All around 
nice guy.
New PGP key 09/13/2001:
:<http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=superbiskit&\
fingerprint=on>
:<http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=superbiskit&\
fingerprint=on>
Fingerprint=0x{E7C6_4EE2_6B75_5BA3_C52E__77FA_63C3_9366_DCFB_229B}
"By God's Grace I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner."
--The Way of a Pilgrim, R. M. French [tr.]
Potentially Viral Software is any software for which you are not allowed
to examine the source.  Do not buy or use Potentially Viral Software!

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/