Subject: OSTYPE not exported from bash for "M-x compile" in NT emacs
From: "Gregory W. Bond" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 13:52:15 -0500

Since the latest update to bash, where OSTYPE is no longer automatically
exported, I've had to explicitly export it in a number of places:
.bashrc, .bash_profile (for login and interactive shells) and in
BASH_ENV=/etc/bash_env (for non-interactive shells). This has almost
restored my ability to perform builds where Makefiles conditionally
build based on the value of OSTYPE. It works when I invoke 'make' from
the command line of a bash shell, but it's not working when I invoke
'make' via emacs's M-x compile option. It seems that emacs invokes
'make' from a bash shell but the shell doesn't seem to be exporting
OSTYPE. Anyone experiencing similar difficulties, or have a clue what's
going on?

For reference, here's the relevant snippet from my .emacs file:

        ;; This assumes that Cygwin is installed in C:\cygwin (the
        ;; default) and that C:\cygwin\bin is not already in your
        ;; Windows Path (it generally should not be).
        ;;
        (setq exec-path (cons "C:/cygwin/bin" exec-path))
        (setenv "PATH" (concat "C:\\cygwin\\bin;" (getenv "PATH")))
        ;;
        ;; NT-emacs assumes a Windows command shell, which you change
        ;; here.
        ;;
        (setq process-coding-system-alist '(("bash" . undecided-unix)))
        (setq w32-quote-process-args ?\")
        (setq shell-file-name "bash")
        (setenv "SHELL" shell-file-name)
        (setq explicit-shell-file-name shell-file-name)

--
Gregory W. Bond
AT&T Labs - Research
180 Park Avenue, Rm. D273, Bldg. 103
P.O. Box 971, Florham Park, NJ, 07932-0971, USA
tel: (973) 360 7216 fax: (973) 360 8187

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/