Subject: Re: cygrunsrv sshd fails: Some clues
From: Shawn Behrens <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Peter Buckley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 11:13:17 -0500

Hi,

>Sorry, I thought when you started it manually you just typed:
>
>prompt>sshd
>
>So you are starting the service manually:
>
>prompt>cygrunsrv sshd

Actually, I am starting it through Control Panel or through 'net start sshd'.

>and it works, but starting the service automatically fails? That sounds 
>like a problem with whatever version of XP you have

Yes. The version of XP I have is XP Professional, release version. Note 
that others have reported this same problem with W2k, too, so I do not 
think it is XP-specific.

One thing I noticed is: If I set a parameter to start a .bat file on 
service failure (first, second, subsequent) that will execute a 'net start 
sshd' and open notepad (that last to make it do something that I see), that 
.bat is never started. Very strange. So the service fails but does not 
report that properly to the OS?

>, or something about the parameters that XP starts the service with. Have 
>you tried to uninstall sshd as a service, and install it with srvany or 
>firedaemon?

I have. Specifying c:\cygwin\usr\sbin\sshd.exe as the app to be started, 
c:\cygwin\usr\sbin as the application directory, and -D as the application 
parameters, I get this:
FireDaemon just crashes upon starting the service
srvany says the service started okay. However, will srvany is running, sshd 
is not.

So, sshd.exe needs some things to execute that neither FireDaemon nor 
srvany provide.

Cheers
Shawn

--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting:         http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/